Saturday, May 15, 2010

Field Trip #1- Campus and Trails FGCU VS Nova Southeastern University



One of the major disadvantages of taking this course virtual rather than in a classroom in Fort Myers is the inability to visit all of the unique places Southwest Florida has to offer. As I am taking this class from my home in Fort Lauderdale, I was given the pre-approval by Professor Davis to do a compare and contrast of the campus trail at FGCU and the one in a large university such as Nova Southeastern University which is located about 20 minutes from my house. Well, there is a tremendous difference between the approach both schools take when it comes to sustainability and nature. First of all, Florida Gulf Coast University was built to be very ECO friendly and I like that. Everything was built and designed with energy efficiency and the environment in mind. I like going to a school that prides itself on those things because not many schools do today. We are different and it will be beneficial in the future, especially 30 or 40 years down the road. I think that not only will everyone be going to school on a sustainable campus but they all will be educated on how to live a sustainable future because of this Colloquium class.

I have been on the FGCU campus trail once before and it was very interesting to notice some of the things our school offers which the majority of both the undergraduate and graduate population is completely unaware of. Most people don't realize that we are walking distance away from gorgeous oak hammocks, and many would be impressed to see the beauty that fire can produce. The only aspect I disliked was the number of mosquitoes but that something that is part of nature. My final impressions of the campus trail is that I am very impressed at how hard everyone at FGCU works to create a sustainable environment.

On May 15, 2010, I visited Nova Southeastern University and was looking forward to my first visit to this institution to see the difference between it and FGCU. The difference is tremendous as NSU is nowhere as eco-friendly nor has the land to provide its students with the friendly environment and space that FGCU offers. The campus trails were limited and I embarked on the first trail at the main entrance off of University Drive and saw a few things, but nowhere as much as FGCU. At the lake, I saw a turtle that was getting some sun (couldn’t provide a picture as it went in the water at the time I took the shot) and some fish. I can conclude that we are all blessed at FGCU to receive an opportunity to educate ourselves about the importance of the environment and nature along with having unique campus trails and much more. After spending nearly 50 minutes on the campus of NSU, I was not impressed with the campus trails and was expecting something much better than what I saw.

Before I started this class, I was aware of the environmental principles that FGCU was founded on but I wasn’t really concerned about them. I think as I get further into this class it will make me notice things that I didn’t see before and make me more conscious of things and do my small part in the university community. Each and every single student of FGCU 11,219 student population should understand the impact FGCU has on the future each and every single day.

Below are some pictures from my trip to NSU:





No comments:

Post a Comment