Saturday, May 15, 2010

My Neighborhood





The place I now call home is Dania Beach, Florida, a small quiet, coastal town which is just minutes from the Fort Lauderdale- Hollywood International Airport, minutes from the beaches and 30 minutes from Miami. Coming from a large city such as New York, this is drastic change for me. Living across the street from West Lake Park and minutes away from the Anne Kolb nature center, I'm becoming very close to the environment and nature. Anne Kolb nature center is simply a remarkable mangrove eco-system that really invites you to explore its brackish 1,500 acre realm by either paddle, bike or foot. My neighborhood is home to many creatures such as ducks, alligators, egrets and many more. With the number of trees, lakes and beautiful things about this neighborhood, there are no words to describe the excitement I hope to take from this course and step outside and use it to my benefit.

There are many unique features and sustainable aspects in my neighborhood and with the new recycling program recently implemented along with all households receiving two garbage cans from the city, one for regular garbage and one for recycling, they are helping our planet each and every single day. After walking around my neighborhood and think about the impact nature has on is, it really allowed me to look at things from a different perspective. I was able to notice that many households use solar panels rather than electricity to heat their swimming panels and I was impressed.

Above, you can see a picture of me at West Lake park and the pictures below are me taking pictures throughout my neighborhood.







Till next time....

No comments:

Post a Comment