Friday, May 14, 2010

Incoming Reflection- Initial Expectations and feelings towards Colloquium Class

Upon transferring to FGCU in the fall of 2009, I immediately looked at my requirements for my major and noticed a course which was a requirement school-wide and it was none other than the University colloquium course. I figured that with both with the growing importance of our natural resources and our environment along with FGCU's beautiful campus, this course was a direct correlation of the Florida Gulf Coast University's vision, mission statement and guiding principles. As the university has made a commitment to make environmental education an integral part of their identity, I am hoping this class will help me develop a different ecological perspective.

My initial thoughts of colloquium are very mixed as growing up in New York City, I did not have the advantages to understand the effects of our environment to our future. I did however visit the Green Mountains in Vermont quite often as I was an avid skier and this allowed me to get a sense of the mountain, lakes, trees, etc and everything else I was missing living in a big city. My background knowledge of ecological perspectives is rather diminutive and I'm hoping to gather a wide array of useful informative information from both my fellow class members, our textbook and Professor Davis. My experience with the wilderness is minimal as besides going face to face with a deer and seeing some wild animals from a distance, I haven't had the opportunity to see much! Over the course of the past 5 years living in SE Florida of which 2 years I spent attending college in beautiful North Carolina and living across the street from West Lake Park (which I plan on discussing further in a future blog post), my understanding has enhanced but I'm hoping this course will provide me with a different perspective.

When it comes to personal goals, before I complete any task, I have gotten in a habit of setting a goal and objective and setting a high bar for myself and working very hard and diligently to fulfill my potential. I believe I can both learn a lot from this class which will in turn help me make better decisions that may have a better result on our environment. This class will have a very important component to my education and life experiences as I hope it will better prepare me for the future and provide with a background that will help me better understand where we have been, where we are right now and in which direction we are heading. FGCU has already played a tremendous role in helping our environment and I hope I can become a better citizen of the planet we live in and help others make a change. With the growing number of issues circulating on the worldwide news network daily such as global warming, recycling, etc I hope this course will make me have a broader understanding of the environment we live in today.

I am excited to learn about the environment and how my school is build energy efficient and eco friendly. I see it now as somewhat of a privilege to be able to have a class like this one. Not many schools have programs or classes that can even compare to what Florida Gulf Coast University has for us. We are at the forefront with that knowledge and commitment.

In my next blog post, I will be discussing my neighborhood to give you a sense of where I have been to where I am today. Till next time....

No comments:

Post a Comment