Saturday, May 15, 2010

My Ecological Footprint



It would take 4.1 earths to support a planet living my lifestyle. Wow, that’s a lot. I thought that I lived a more Eco-friendly lifestyle but I guess I really don’t. I do recycle but that’s about it. The basis of my score was that I am "headed in the right direction" but I'm not necessarily living a sustainable lifestyle. The areas I can use improvement are public transportation, my house and the food and drinks I consume. Some things I can improve on that were not mentioned are that I still make a lot of waste, leave electronics plugged in, leave water and lights on when I can find alternative solutions. These are all bad habits all of which I think I can grow out of. I just have to be more conscious and alert to my surroundings. I now realize that this is something that I need to prioritize and make an effort to change my ways. I think this is something my family could also improve on. Many people don't realize that it's the little things that matter like recycling, buying renewable and environmentally-friendly products, unplugging electrical devices when not in use, that will all make a huge difference in the long run.

Growing up I knew that small things were important and every little part helps but I don’t think I ever realized how much it all adds up to and how much a person can save if they change the light bulbs to more energy efficient ones or getting energy efficient appliances. I think I learned a lot of valuable information from this short quiz and there are changes that I can make starting this second to make this planet a better place for everybody. Understanding the problem is the first step in finding the solution and taking a quiz like this allows us to really realize the impact we have on this planet. My family and I live in a large household and use electricity a lot and that is by no means an excuse for this low result. Everyone needs to be a conscious effort to improve and understand the situation our country is currently in.

I urge everyone to find out their own ecological footprint by taking the quiz via the following link: http://sustainability.publicradio.org/consumerconsequences/consumerConsequences.html



Till next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment